Households across the UK are benefiting from new gas boilers, and the best part? The government is paying for them! So who qualifies for a new boiler grant?
A new boiler grant is currently available through the Energy Company Obligation, or ECO.
It began in April 2013, with the aim of reducing the carbon footprint of households nationwide, while also helping to eliminate fuel poverty. The scheme currently funds initiatives including free boiler grants, but in order to qualify for a Government boiler grant, you have to satisfy a number of criteria:
- Your current boiler must be at least 7 years old.
- You must own your property (if you are renting, you need to speak with your landlord first).
- Your property must be connected to the mains gas supply.
- You must receive at least one of the Government’s list of benefits.
Since the ECO scheme was set up with the intention of helping households on the lowest incomes to reduce their energy bills, the Government continues to expand the number of benefits that qualify for a free boiler grant.
Currently, the list of eligible benefits includes:
- Universal Credit
- Tax Credits (Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits)
- Pension Guarantee Credit
- Carer’s Allowance
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Attendance Allowance
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
- War Pensions
- Mobility Supplement
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
- Income Support
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Child benefit (To qualify through child benefits you need to fall within certain income thresholds).
Even if you are eligible for one of the benefits, your boiler also needs to qualify for a boiler replacement grant! Since the goal of the ECO government boiler grants UK is to save people money and reduce energy use, the new boiler has to provide you with a saving compared to what you have at the moment. When you speak to Boilers for Free or any other boiler grant supplier, you will be asked for the make and model of your current boiler, the condition it is in, and where it is located in the property.
If you are not sure if your boiler’s issues qualify you for a boiler grant, don’t hesitate to contact us and we can help check your eligibility.